2019 Newport Yacht Club Marine Adventure Camp
In 2015, Newport Yacht Club launched its first ever NYC Marine Adventure Camp with huge success and we continued to grow into 2019. Over 180 campers join 6 instructors over 8 weeks for fun on the water each year.
The mission of the Camp is provide access to sailing, sailboat racing, and marine education for ages 8-15 from any level or background. (Please note we have had an age change our policy this year from past year.) Due to proximity to some of the best sailing resources in the world, NYC is in a unique position to provide quality nautical and sailing instruction for the youth of the Narragansett Bay.
The focus of the program is fun and of course, safety. The Camp aims to be an alternative to a racing focused program.
So for the fifth year, our Marine Adventure Camp will be broken into FOUR 2-week full day sessions and a combination of activities unique to meet the mission.
- Introduction to basic sailing skills in dinghies (Optis, 420s, and Open BICs) and big boats (2 Ensigns, a J-22, and NYC Member Yachts) to learn concepts like steering, sail positions, and wind awareness.
- Exposure to beginner marine navigation skills - charts, weather, docking, anchoring
- A focus on Marine Education - conservation, local geography, and sustainability
- For Intermediate and Advanced Sailors, including returning MAC Campers, we will be breaking the groups into different levels throughout the camp to differentiate learning and continue to grow their skills
- June 24 - July 5 (Note there is no class on July 4)
- July 8 - July 18
- July 22 - August 2
- August 7 - 16
Sessions will be 9am-4pm Monday-Friday for ages 8-16. (Note we do not have half day sessions anymore)
- $490 per session
- Prices include 2-Week Junior Membership (This program is open to anyone however a Newport Yacht Club Junior Membership is required for all participants for our insurance, this fee is rolled into Registration Fees)
Applications are received on a "first-come, first-serve" basis - early registration is highly recommended as the classes fill up quickly. You can see the number of available spots left on the registration page. Registration will automatically close if there are no spots left but you can register for the Waitlist and will be automatically informed if a spot opens up.